We welcome your participation in program content through this selection of texts. Here’s what we’re reading:
Recommend reading for Collective Curating:
- Alexander Alberro, “Alice Creischer, Andreas Siekmann, and Max Jorge Hinderer, The Potosí Principle, 2010“, The Artist as Curator #4, 359-371, 2017.
- Bridget Cooks, (2011), “Black Artists and Activism,” Exhibiting Blackness: African Americans and the Art Museum, University of Massachusetts Press, 53-85
- Harsanyi, Trotman, Yang, “How to Make Art with Place, People, and Things,” Circle Through New York, 66-129, 2017
- Amy Lonetree, (2012), “Transforming Museums into ‘Places that Matter’ for Indigenous Peoples,” Decolonizing Museums, The University of North Carolina Press, 168-171
- Zhong Mengual and Douroux, (2017), “The New Patrons’ Protocol,” Reclaiming Art Reshaping Democracy
Recommend reading for Artist-Centered Curatorial Practice:
- Anthony Huberman, Great Expectations: Prospects for the Future of Curatorial Education, 103, Koenig Books, 2016.
- Anne Ellegood and Kerry Tribe, “Long Term Relationship,” The Exhibitionist: Journal on Exhibition Making, the First Six Years, 917-923, The Exhibitionist, 2017.
- Sarah Trigg, “Trenton Doyle Hancock,” 56-59; “Jill Macid,” 104-107; “Simone Leigh,” 170-173. Studio Life: Rituals, Collections, Tools, and Observations on the Artistic Process, Princeton Architectural Press, 2013.
- Ann Landi, “Show and Tell: The Dos and Don’ts of Studio Visits,” ARTnews, September 30, 2013 Accessed August 22, 2019.
- Rika Burnham and Elliot Kai-Kee, Teaching in the Art Museum: Interpretation as Experience, 79-93, Getty Publications, 2011.
Thinking about curating, broadly:
- Okwui Enwezor, “The Politics of Spectacle, the Gwangju Biennale and the Asian Century,” Annual Report, 2008, exhibition catalogue published in conjunction with the 7th Gwangju Biennale.=
- Anthony Huberman, “Take Care” in Circular Facts, Berlin: 2011, 9–17. (Accessed on the showroom.org, May 15, 2019.)
- Simi Kang, “Experience is Expertise,” MN Artists, December 31, 2018.
- Ed. Katarzyna Murawska-Muthesius and Piotr Piotrowski, From Museum Critique to the Critical Museum, Burlington: Ashgate Publishing Company, 2015.
- Hans Ulrich Obrist, A Brief History of Curating, Zurich: JRP Ringier, 2008.
- Ed. Paul O’Neill, Mick Wilson, and Lucy Steeds, The Curatorial Conundrum: What to Study? What to Research? What to Practice?, Cambridge: MIT Press, 2016.